Monday, 6 July 2015

[Rant] Rude makeup counter staff

Beauty Tips For Body Care
This may be a bit off-topic, and I apologise in advance for the rant.So I visited my local MAC store today looking for a new foundation. I wanted to get shade matched, and asked one of the MAC employees for assistance. The lady sits me down, and immediately comments that the shade of foundation that I'm wearing is completely wrong for my skin tone (admittedly this is true, which is the reason why I wanted to buy a new foundation in the first place).There's honestly nothing wrong with pointing that out, but the way she says it is more than a little condescending. But I brush it off and she begins to remove my makeup. I brace myself for the inevitable comments on my skin. And sure enough, she sees my acne scarring and asks me when the last time I washed my face was (this morning). She then proceeds to lecture me on the importance of toning and moisturising, again in a condescending tone. She tells me that I need to remove my makeup at the end of every day (which I already do, diligently). I'm not a confrontational person and I am quite shy/introverted, so I don't say anything in response other than to nod and pretend that this is all new information to me.Now, I used to have pretty terrible acne, but my skin has been improving by leaps and bounds ever since I've started taking my skincare seriously. It's just extremely disheartening to have someone look at my skin and criticise it/assume that I have acne because I don't care for my skin. I ended up leaving the store without buying anything because I just felt so down about myself.This isn't an isolated incident, either. I can't count the number of times that this has happened to me in the past at makeup counters. I've even had sales assistants at stores like Sephora approaching me with some sort of acne treatment/cleanser, telling me that I need to try it. Is this some sort of new sales strategy? To put customers down and make them feel insecure about themselves, so that they feel like they have to buy your product?Sigh. It just gets me really down and makes me feel like all effort I'm putting into taking care of my skin is not worth it.
Girls Blog 2015
Submitted by SnailPusher

No comments:

Post a Comment