Friday, 3 July 2015

I put cracked heel balm on my severely chapped lips and it turned out to be one of my better decisions

Beauty Tips For Body Care
About four months ago, my lips had just endured a British winter and were incredibly unhappy.My lips have always been prone to cracking - once a plane journey caused them to chap so badly they had a fringe of tiny little cracks running all around them like I was wearing 1996 lip liner, but bleeding. And then when I asked the lady in the shop what she recommended for it she suggested a lip scrub, and like an idiot I tried it, though I was smart enough to stop when I noticed it resulted in eye-watering pain. I was eventually saved by ChopSaver Gold, a very good wax-and-oils-and-sunscreen-type lip balm which healed the damage overnight - tastes lovely too.But this time it was far worse. In addition to bleeding whenever I smiled, the surface of my lips had turned puffy, granular and hard. Slathering on lip balm did absolutely nothing because the lips were so solid with awful white bubbly crusty dead skin that they were watertight. It was like rubbing Vaseline on a vinyl jacket. Again, the internet started recommending lip scrubs, which again I tried and simply caused bleeding. I was miserable, and desperate.In my makeup box I found an unused bottle of PediCare +K Cracked Heel Repair Balm which my mother had given me because she'd liked the product so much, and which I'd never used because I don't have cracked heels. The packaging didn't mention the urea (which I knew nothing about at that time anyway, save for it being in pee), but did brag about how it contained keratin and I remembered something I'd read about how protein in moisturisers slows evaporation of moisture and I was prepared to try anything. If it worked on feet, would it work on lips?Long story short, it was magic. When I first put it on, it tingled, then stung, then stung badly (I may have made some social media post about 'kissing a napalm regret angel' at this point) - but not unbearably, not as bad as rubbing them with a mascara wand dipped in lip balm (NEVER DO THIS) or oily sugar crystals (a slightly less terrible, but still terrible, idea). The pain disappeared in a few minutes - along with half of the crust. It was instant gratification - I swear half of the stuff just melted. I scrubbed the gunk off by gently rubbing with my fingertip, and the dead skin just rolled away painlessly. My lips were still a bit raw and pink from being so cracked, but they were like lips again.For a couple of weeks I made a point of going to bed with heel balm on my lips. The only problems I noticed were the stinging (which got much slighter as my lips healed) and the balm making a white dried crust around my mouth, which easily wiped off with a damp cloth. By the end of the week I had lips again. I haven't had the same problem since.In fact, it was only when I was bragging about how well it worked that someone told me that it probably contained urea. I freaked out a little bit, wondering if I'd swallowed any anti-fungal (or if my initial problem had been fungal?) but then googled it to find out it's a chemical exfoliator. Did a bit of digging, and that's how I ended up here. Hello.Obviously I was clueless and had no idea what I was doing, so I can't recommend anyone else do this. But - if maybe not for lips - cracked heel balm is great for really severe patches of dry, granular skin that nothing seems to be able to penetrate, on other places than the feet.
Girls Blog 2015
Submitted by hollivore

No comments:

Post a Comment